Thursday, January 29, 2009

Week 23

I can't believe it has been 14 weeks since I updated this blog. I was so miserable for those 14 weeks! I can not believe how much I threw up and how nausea was my life. I feel so privileged to be past that phase of pregnancy. I still throw up once a day (bile, first thing in the morning) but it is so much better. I can eat now. I just surpassed my prepregnancy weight. Yes I lost so much weight getting sick it took until now to recover the weight. I should be up 13-15 pounds but I am up 2 pounds. I started to feel the baby move about 2 weeks ago. She (It a girl!) loves to bounce around and have a party right as I want to go to bed, wonder what that means for the future! I also have a noticeable belly for the last week and actually look pregnant! That is kind of fun. Things that are not fun include rib pain, sternum pain, back pain, sciatic pain, leg cramps and did I mention vomiting!

The baby this week

This week the baby's length, from crown-to-rump, is approximately 8 inches! The growing baby has finally reached one pound. The baby is about the size of a small baby doll and looks very human. The baby's face and body look similar to that of a newborn at this time. My uterus can be found about 1.5 inches above your navel. Fat is still being deposited at a rapid rate, but the baby still looks red and wrinkled. Skin is being produced at a higher rate than the fat is, so the skin hangs loosely. The baby looks red because the skin is losing its transparency and pigment is beginning to form. The baby now can suck her thumb for real, where she was just sticking it in her mouth. The baby will continue to swallow amniotic fluid and recycle it as urine. The liquids and sugars that the baby retracts from the fluid is a supplement to the nutrients that the placenta delivers. The pancreas is developing and it will responsible for insulin production, to help break down sugars. As the baby continues to grow, it has less space to move around in the uterus. Bones, muscles and organs are growing steadily.

No comments: